Tuesday 3 January 2017

Evaluation - Question 2

How does your media product represent particular social groups?     

I chose to make my magazine represent young male artists who are usually in the rock genre and the stereotypes that occur in the genre as a whole.

For example some people believe that in rock music there are no meaningful lyrics and this is mainly due to them not being able to understand the artist however the genre as a whole has created some of the most meaningful lyrics in all of music. One of the most famous bands of all time, Queen, was a part of the rock genre and their huge success during the 70s was partly due to their lyrics. "My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies, fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die. I can fly my friends" has an impactful and meaningful tone to it and this goes against the stereotypes of the genre. In my article my feature artist talks about his biggest song 'new world' that has lyrics that people can connect to therefore making him not a part of the stereotype.

People also believe that all young male artists do not care about their fans and that they only care about the money that they make. I wanted to show people that this wasn't true by having my artist seem kind and considerate and not doing it for the money. Due to the time that we live in it is very difficult to make people seem normal when everything is online but in order to do this I wrote about his childhood and the problems he had there in order for him to seem like just an ordinary person who happens to make music. People also believe that people who listen to rock are also anti - social and this goes with the artist included and this was another stereotype I wanted to stop.


No comments:

Post a Comment